Thursday, March 17, 2011

Persian New Year

 
Persian New Year 
Tik Tok, Tik Tok, Tik Tok and then Boooooooom. This starts the beiginning of the new year. Now you might be thinking of the ball drop in Times Square, New York. However, this is a different New Year , it's the Persian New Year which happens on March 20th. Every year, the time of the new year is different unlike the American New year being at 12a.m. This year the exact time the earth finishes it's rotation and the start of spring is 4:20 p.m. My favorite time that it could be is after midnight. When I was younger in Iran, one year the new year was at 3:00 a.m. My sister and I stayed up all night waiting for the new year. I was so excited about all the presents that I was going to get. Similar to Christmas we set a table with seven basic items. Each of these items symbolize different things such as fertility, life, peace, money, health, happiness. The interesting part is that all these seven basic items start with a "s" in Farsi. Under the table we put all of our presents. We have to wait until the new year to open them. This new year also originates from the religion Zorastrinism. It is now celebrated by all Persians, and most of the middle east. 

3 comments:

  1. I never knew that presents are giving out during Persian New Year! I also found it interesting that all seven basic items start with an "s" in Farsi. I love reading your blogs I always learn something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do they determine when each Persian new year begins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basicallly it's the begining of spring. It's the exact time that it starts. I guess they have satelites o something lol

    ReplyDelete