Thursday, March 3, 2011

Religion: Zoroastrianism

“Taking the first footstep with a good thought the second with a good word and the third with a good deed I entered Paradise”, (Zoroaster). This quote is by the prophet and philosopher Zoroaster. The religion, Zoroastrianism, was founded by Zarathustra in Persia -- modern-day Iran. It may have been the world's first monotheistic faith. It was once the religion of the Persian Empire, but has since been reduced in numbers to fewer than 200,000 today. Most religious historians, “believe the Jewish, Christian and Muslim beliefs concerning God and Satan, the soul, heaven and hell, the virgin birth of the savior, slaughter of the innocents, resurrection, the final judgment, etc. were all derived from Zoroastrianism” (Avesta)."Zoroastrianism is the oldest of the revealed world-religions, and it has probably had more influence on mankind, directly and indirectly, than any other single faith" (Mary, Boyce). This is a little background on Zoroastrianism, which is my religion. The main quote that one hears about this religion is, “Good Words, Good Deeds, and Good Thoughts” (Zoroaster). As mentioned before the Zoroastrian population has decreased because of the Arabians taking over the Persian Empire. However, there is a Zoroastrian community right here in San Jose. Our temple is located in the Alum Rock Mountains and we hold many Zoroastrian camps, parties, gatherings, religious classes and other fun stuff. After reading Black Boy by Richard Wright, I started thinking more and more about religion and God. Since I was born I have been brought up to think of God as a power who created the world, who looks after mankind, and who’s deeds are always for a reason no matter if they seem good or bad to us. However, in Black Boy his family makes him think of God as “the white man” and someone to be afraid of. As we talked more about it in class, this is because his family does not know any better and are teaching him what they have been thought.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all the quotes. I also liked how you explained the quotes and then connected it to Black Boy. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Never really heard about it before.

    ReplyDelete